Intel® Management Engine Critical Firmware Update (Intel SA-00086)
Intel Q3’17 ME 11.x, SPS 4.0, and TXE 3.0 Security Review Cumulative Update (INTEL-SA-00086)
Product family: Various
Impact of vulnerability: Elevation of Privilege
Severity rating: Important
Original release: Nov 20, 2017
Last revised: Nov 20, 2017
In response to issues identified by external researchers, Intel has performed an in-depth comprehensive security review of our Intel® Management Engine (ME), Intel® Server Platform Services (SPS), and Intel® Trusted Execution Engine (TXE) with the objective of enhancing firmware resilience. As a result, Intel has identified security vulnerabilities that could potentially place impacted platforms at risk. Systems using ME Firmware versions 11.0/11.5/11.6/11.7/11.10/11.20, SPS Firmware version 4.0, and TXE version 3.0 are impacted.[…]Based on the items identified through the comprehensive security review, an attacker could gain unauthorized access to platform, Intel® ME feature, and 3rd party secrets protected by the Intel® Management Engine (ME), Intel® Server Platform Service (SPS), or Intel® Trusted Execution Engine (TXE). This includes scenarios where a successful attacker could:
* Impersonate the ME/SPS/TXE, thereby impacting local security feature attestation validity.
* Load and execute arbitrary code outside the visibility of the user and operating system.
* Cause a system crash or system instability.
* External Security Researchers and Intel Validation.
* Intel would like to thank Mark Ermolov and Maxim Goryachy from Positive Technologies Research for working collaboratively with Intel on a coordinated disclosure for CVE-2017-5705.
Detection tool for Linux and Windows: